Buying and Storing Nuts
Nuts are susceptible to infection with toxic molds, which produce mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are dangerous to the human body and prolonged exposure has been linked with problems such as infertility, cancer, and autism. When buying nuts, it is best to buy organic, whole, raw nuts, preferably refrigerated. Refrigeration of nuts protects them from their susceptibility to mold and prevents them from becoming oxidized. Nuts are high in fat and become rancid(oxidized) when exposed to warmer temperatures.
Types of Nuts to Eat
Below is a list of nuts and its benefits. Note that peanuts are not on the list because they are actually not nuts, they are legumes, which we do not recommend eating. If you are allergic to nuts, avoid them completely!
- excellent source of copper, Vitamin E, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, Vitamin B2, and Tryptophan
-helps regulate blood sugar
-resistant to molds
- high in copper and magnesium
- contain more biologically active forms of Vitamin E
- great source of monounsaturated fats
- help lower LDL cholesterol
-great source of memory- boosting omega-9 fatty acids, iron and magnesium
- rich in copper, manganese, phosphorous, B vitamins
- high in dietary fiber and carotenoids
- higher risk of mold- Inspect before you eat!
- high in omega-3 fatty acid
-don't cook with walnuts because they will oxidize and create free radicals